2024 - what is everybody doing?

The machine is not timeless
Ehrin_CB

Re: 2024 - what is everybody doing?

Post by Ehrin_CB »

I'm pretty much planning on simulating my current setup, but from around 20 years ago.
I currently have a Ryzen-3600x desktop with 16gb DDR4 and a GTX 1080ti, instead i'll be replacing it with a Dell D531 (AMD Turion X2 @ 1.8ghz, 2gb DDR2).
My current laptop of choice is a Macbook Air (M1, 16gb ram), which I'll be replaing with an iBook G4 (1.2 ghz, 1.25gb ram).

I'm not sure if I'll do any funky OS stuff. Though on the "desktop" side. If I'm on Windows, I'll likely stay on XP.
Other devices I'm definitely planning on using:
Xbox 360, PS3, iPod Classic.

Going to do my best to keep regular phone usage to a minimum, but as many of my friend groups use either Discord or Telegram, I'd like to not just disappear for a week lol.

Plan on rehashing my Gemini Capsule. Also would be fun to make some music in an older version of either FL Studio, or Reaper. Not sure yet exactly though.
oracle

Post by oracle »

I am posting this from a T42 machine running OpenBSD installation without x-sets.
I am the DEADNET ORACLE. I AM NOT RELATED TO THE COMPANY CALLED ORACLE.
sunoc
Gopher: nagoya.sunoc.omg.lol
Mastodon: https://social.linux.pizza/@sunoc

Post by sunoc »

Hi!
I'm joining the challenge (and sending this post) with my ThinkPad T40!
A replacement mSATA SSD + adapter were received today; I could start setting up a fresh install of Damn Small Linux 2024!

I'm glad I got Emacs and Nextcloud to work, including my org-roam setup!

Still waiting on replacement for the BIOS battery and the main battery as well.

Demain il pleut
anthk

Post by anthk »

As my specs are a GB of RAM based n270 ATOM netbook (with ZRAM), and a GL 2.1 card,I already run some OCC challenge daily.Thus, I thought about using wondershaper, an internet bandwith limiter/throttler for Linux.Currently, I ran it as

Code: Select all

sudo wondershaper wlan0 128 64 
so it mimics an ISDN line. As my main setup uses mosh, gemini and gopher clientsand links/dillo, I find zero slowdown. No videos and streamed radios must be cached with mplayer -cache, but this shows how much of crap we are running over normal browsers so even DSL connections feel
really slow on most fora.
oracle

Post by oracle »

Finally: The prequel is written:

https://automa.triapul.cz/xorgless-occ/
no x-sets - chill time
no x-sets - chill time
5.jpg (611.5 KiB) Viewed 6228 times
cfnnm

Post by cfnnm »

Hello, people!

I'm new here, so this will be my first time participating, but I have been interested in the challenge since last year. I'm planning to use a 2010 Sony netbook with Arch Linux and Openbox, trying to emulate a configuration that I used in 2008 or 2009. The CPU is a dual core Atom, and the RAM is only 2GB (maybe I'll limit it to 1 GB), so I think it will be a fun challenge for my first time.

I'll post the URL to my blog at the appropriate thread.
headcrash
Site Admin
Gopher: gopher.deadnet.se
IRC: Headcrash @ irc.libera.chat
Jabber: headcrash@og.im

Post by headcrash »

That's just a sweet looking netbook!
Everything is a smoke machine if you operate it wrong enough.
fsck.life
deadnet.se
oracle

Post by oracle »

cfnnm wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 5:09 am
Welcome :)
rollcat

Post by rollcat »

Hello everyone!

It's my second time participating in the challenge; I joined for the first time in 2022 (for v2) and mostly just used it as an excuse to stay completely offline the whole time ;)

My setup for 2024 is documented here: https://www.rollc.at/posts/2024-07-02-tibook/

TL;DR: PowerBook G4 867Mhz; 512MB RAM; Mac OS X 10.5.8; external screen (1920p60!!!) & keyboard & mouse. The external peripherals feel a little bit like cheating, but I really need my Ergodox+vertical mouse+properly positioned screen because ergonomics/RSI is no joke; also the machine lacks a battery, and it's usually too hot these days to sit outside anyway.

I've contemplated using a dumb phone (or maybe iPhone SE1) to match the desktop experience, but I've decided to simply limit the usage of my current iPhone SE2 to communication apps only. Probably gonna carry my Sony ZV-1 with me, and see if I can get the photos off the SD card and onto the TiBook without laying an egg or summoning Satan in the process (something something USB1.1 or maaaybe 2.0 vs FireWire 400).

Day 1 impressions so far: aside from the fan noise it's an extremely pleasant machine to use. I've been ripping and listening to CDs (headphones audio is great; builtin speakers are... not), getting more familiar with what the system can/cannot do, working around the extremely outdated base system (curl has a cacert bundle from March 2000, ssh can't do any modern ciphers...), and scheming on how to run Hugo to post some updates (no golang for ppc32... probably gonna end up SSH'ing to my M1 Mac mini for that, but gotta figure out how to relax/downgrade the accepted cipher suite on the modern sshd side).

Long-term plans: look for inspiration for creating my own desktop/computing environment from scratch.
thedorkweb

Post by thedorkweb »

Hi all,

I've blogged about this here in case anyone wants to follow my progress but in summary, I'm using a massively overspec'd offline-only T42 Thinkpad with Windows 3.11 for an average of 1 hour a day to work on a zine with friends, process photos taken on my Sony Mavica and if I can find a way to do it rip some CDs and write them to minidisc. I'm hoping I can demonstrate that a fairly modern writing/publishing workflow is achievable on Windows 3.11 with similar quality output to a modern writing/publishing workflow.

I think doing this on DOS/Windows 3.11 is going to be orders of magnitudes better than doing it on modern windows, not for performance reasons but because UI features will be fairly consistent and it'll get out of my way.

I think I might've done all 3 prior OCCs but only published the last two at the current blog. I've mostly used Amigas for this, but wanted to use Windows this time and my device of choice is in bits on my electronics desk.