Total votes: 14

oracle

Re: 2024 plans

Post by oracle »

https://occ.deadnet.se/
occ poster whatever fku
occ poster whatever fku
occ2024.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 7036 times
I am the DEADNET ORACLE. I AM NOT RELATED TO THE COMPANY CALLED ORACLE.
mhd

Post by mhd »

How was it for the rest of you in the past years, did you deviate a lot then?

I quite liked that the last year set a rather low bar of entry, gave me the chance to fiddle with some semi-recent thin clients for a bit, instead of going all out for something from last century.

So, technically speaking, for some people participating, that didn't require a literal "old computer". But one might still argue that using a less powerful system gets you close in spirit. Whereas, speaking for me, (CRT) screen time limits certainly weren't a part of my initial computer experience (as opposed to dial-up time).

If we're getting such a limited topic, I'll probably try to honor the 30th anniversary of OS/2 Warp and try to live with that system for a while.
82mhz
IRC: _82mhz on libera
Mastodon: @82mhz@oldbytes.space

Post by 82mhz »

@Oracle: Great poster, I like it!
headcrash
Site Admin
Gopher: gopher.deadnet.se
IRC: Headcrash @ irc.libera.chat
Jabber: headcrash@og.im

Post by headcrash »

mhd wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:56 pm If we're getting such a limited topic, I'll probably try to honor the 30th anniversary of OS/2 Warp and try to live with that system for a while.
That sounds like a great idea! Different and interesting.
Everything is a smoke machine if you operate it wrong enough.
fsck.life
deadnet.se
82mhz

Post by 82mhz »

I like that everyone is coming up with great ideas, but that also kinda fragments the challenge a bit if everybody is doing something different, instead of all of us trying the same thing...

But then maybe that also makes it interesting, to read and talk about what kind of crazy things other people are trying out.

I have no idea what to do yet... do we have a date yet?
headcrash
Site Admin

Post by headcrash »

My plans for this year may have been slightly shattered all of a sudden..
From being perfectly reliable, the old Powerbook G4 has started being *very* unstable and unreliable. It frequently freezes completely, freezes partially, or is lagging considerably. Sometimes it kernel panics even. And sometimes when it has froze up and I try rebooting it, all I get are angry system fault beeps. This might be pointing towards a bad RAM stick, or something even more borked. If I can't fix it with another RAM stick, I'll have to completely rethink my plans, or try to scramble for another Powerbook somehow.
Tits.

EDIT:
Going all in on heavy damage control over here. I snatched an old Macbook Pro from mid-2007 (A1226) which is a 15" machine with the same styling as the old Powerbook. It was about 20 bucks, and comes with no charger, and a trashed hard drive. I'm sure it wont give me any problems at all.
It's also not as fun as a PowerPC system. But eh..
I also snatched up a USB-C to Magsafe1 cable for it. Let the misadventures continue!
fsck.life
deadnet.se
82mhz

Post by 82mhz »

Oh man this sucks! My initial thought was also bad RAM, but if you get new RAM and that isn't it, that's doubly annoying.

The 2007 Macbook Pro was the one before the unibody, right? These are also very good looking machines, and 20 bucks (in which currency btw?) sounds like a good price!

I have a 2006 (I think) Macbook without the Pro, the white plastic one. I used to love the look of these back in the day, but could never afford one. Now that people are throwing them at you for a few bucks, I can :)

Maybe we can make it into an "old Macbook" challenge :D
headcrash
Site Admin

Post by headcrash »

Yeah it's such a damn bummer! I did try another RAM stick in it, and sadly it does exactly the same... I guess the heat cycles over the years and the fact it has been severely dropped at some point finally caught up with it. Bah!

Yeah that MBP shares the same design language as the Powerbook G4's. So it's before all the unibody stuff. At least it carries the old spirit with it, hehe!
20 bucks loosely converted to USD from Sek. It was 200sek.

Ah neato! Yeah they can be found very cheaply nowadays, when they're not collectible yet, haha!
To be fair, any challenge is a better idea than what seems to be this years OCC, so sure! I'm up for an old Macbook challenge! :D
fsck.life
deadnet.se
82mhz

Post by 82mhz »

I'm still holding out for Solene to maybe come up with something different... something that more resembles the "old computer" spirit. But we'll see...
headcrash
Site Admin

Post by headcrash »

Yeah one can always hope! I'm fully set on doing my own thing. But for the rest of you who are planning on the official challenge, I really hope she comes up with something better!
fsck.life
deadnet.se