A brief history of my audio shenanigans and equipment up to today

Audio player, recorders, processors, formats, codecs etc.
mavica
IRC: mavica @ irc.libera.chat
Mastodon: https://computerfairi.es/@mavica_again
Jabber: mavica@netizen.club

Re: A brief history of my audio shenanigans and equipment up to today

Post by mavica »

mmmmminnidiiiiiiiiisccccc
headcrash
Site Admin
Gopher: gopher.deadnet.se
IRC: Headcrash @ irc.libera.chat
Jabber: headcrash@og.im

Re: A brief history of my audio shenanigans and equipment up to today

Post by headcrash »

So much MiniDisc!

Also an update! I was given a pair of Apple Airport Express base stations from the same friend as the Time Capsule you might have read about already.
These are nifty little things from about 2005, and almost a bit ahead of their time. They can either be set up as wifi extenders, wifi-ethernet bridges, or as a wifi connected AirPlay audio output device (both analog and Toslink) and a USB print server.

In my case I'm using them for audio output. I currently have one set up in the living room, connected to what started life as a cheap surround-system center speaker, which I had previously modified with a 2x20W class-D amplifier. This is just temporary, and will be replaced with an Edifier D12 speaker shortly.
IMG_3383.JPG
IMG_3383.JPG (166.58 KiB) Viewed 445 times
The Airport base station and speaker PSU are hidden behind the books in the shelf.
IMG_3384.JPG
IMG_3384.JPG (94.04 KiB) Viewed 445 times
And here is the second base station that hasn't been installed yet. But it will end up somewhere in my bedroom.
IMG_3382.JPG
IMG_3382.JPG (107.74 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Why all this, then? Well, partially because it's amusing old tech, and partially because it automatically becomes a multiroom audio system directly from iTunes.
These old things also still integrate perfectly with modern Apple devices, which enables me to play music from my phone, modern Mac etc.
Bild 1.png
Bild 1.png (477.93 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Everything is a smoke machine if you operate it wrong enough.
StuXNode
Deadnet